Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Eggplant in Cumin-Scented Tomato Sauce

Ingredients
1/4 c olive oil
1 large eggplant, cut into cubes
Flour for dredging
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp cumin seed, toasted and ground
1/2 tsp ground coriander
3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 c plain yogurt
1/4 c chopped parsley
salt and pepper

Method
Heat oil in a large skilled. Dredge eggplant in flour and lightly brown on all sides. Remove and reserve. Add onion, garlic, cumin and coriander to the pan. Cook about 5 minutes, until onion is soft. Add tomatoes, simmer about 10 minutes. Return eggplant to pan, cover, and cook about 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in yogurt and parsley. Correct seasoning. Serve hot or at room temperature. Makes 6 servings.

Source
I clipped this from a book club brochure, but didn’t keep any information about the book it’s from. So all I can say is that it’s from some cookbook probably published in the 1980’s.

Comments
Looks really good. This is the kind of recipe I like a lot. I should make it.
Any time I cook with eggplant, it turns out bitter if I don’t sweat it first, whether the recipe says to or not. It doesn’t seem to do that for other people, but I’ve had too many otherwise good eggplant recipes spoiled by bitterness that I don’t risk it anymore, and sweat it every time I cook with eggplant. To sweat eggplant, cut it into the pieces required by the recipe (peeled and cubed, in this case), spread the pieces in a single layer on a tray or large plate, and salt heavily. Let sit for 1/2 hour to 1 hour. When you are ready to add the eggplant to the recipe (in this case, to flour and fry it), rinse well, and pat dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment